Monday, April 24, 2006

Papers, Packing and most of all procrastination: Drunk Dialing

so... I decided to google (sidebar: if I could marry google I would; in other news, Toby and I may start a company involving google.... watch out we're getting technology retro on your ass) anywho, back to the googling, I decided to google one of my hobbies "drunk dialing" and see what came up. I found some humorous sites on this including:

this one, which depicts the act as an art. Here's some great parts of it that I identified with from his requirements:

The first thing needed for a drunk dial and probably the most important trait of a drunk dial is incoherent speech. During a drunk dial, you cannot make a lick of sense. If you find yourself having a coherent conversation with your drunk dial receiver, I suggest another two shots, and then you can call them back.
ummm check
Another thing that is very common with a drunk dial is slurred speech. Slurred speech is a sign that you are very drunk, and that a drunk dial is very much in progress. Your drunk dial receiver may not be able to fully understand you, so in this situation I would recommend yelling into the phone so that the frequency of words picked up goes down even more than when you were casually speaking.
oh, fuck yes.

The sign is the propensity to repeat ourselves when drunk dialing. Most of the time when drunk dialing, we have one thing to say to our victims, and even when we say it, there is the urge to say it again. And then we say it again.
I would say I don't limit this activity to drunk dials but it certainly occurs with the drunk dial
The last thing that is absolutely essential for a great drunk dial is to state the obvious. The most popular phrase in drunk dials is I'm (expletive) drunk....
ummm yup, you know I'm TANKED when I tell you how drunk I am, again, and again, and ohhh again
Also found an article on Virgin Mobile trying to help me stop drunk dialing here

Wow and does wikipedia not have an entry on everything?!

WOAH this is a site where you can get drunk call them and they'll post your drunken ass call online for other people to mock you etc. whole new level....

This was pretty lame but, I admire the idea...

Another site (!) that has drunk calls online...eek, I should get weary of these...

If only I used this instead of my cell....

This village voice article discusses the drunk dial (and texting - good god why doesn't my phone save outgoing texts!), it suggests:
To be truly liberated today might entail leaving your phone at home.

Pfff, I think I'll look at employing her advice:
Got a good tip for all of you. When I leave home before a night out, I write down all of the numbers that I am prone to drunk dial and leave the numbers at home. Then I erase all of the numbers from my phone. The next day, I reprogram the numbers back in my phone. Little bit of extra work, but worth the effort.

but... probably not.

until next time.... (or until I drunk call/text you).....

No comments: