Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Holy Crap - the Bluesfest is out of control this year!

Okay here are some of the acts that will be at the Ottawa Bluesfest this summer - it is crazy.

Ani DiFranco

Broken Social Scene
mmmmm....loves them, unlike last year's bluesfest I promise not to totally "gap out" with Gen against a brick wall staring into space because were are so messed up and Phil won't have to come and get us and tell us we've been sitting against the wall for no less than 15 minutes not talking or moving...

Controller Controller

Cuban Dance Party (okay, this just sounds cool)

Etta James* - WHAT? are you serious?!!? I love her! I didn't even know she was still alive! (shame).

Feist

John Lee Hooker Jr - Okay, this one just mostly reminds me of Nicole belting out songs with her guitar

KC and the Sunshine Band (hehe)

Matt Mays & El Torpedo

Metric This time I won't even be sooo 'unsober' that I'm sitting in a field unhappy until I hear Combat Baby....

Sam Roberts - meh they're all right

Seu Jorge - as Gen pointed out, this is the guy who does the David Bowie Covers in Life aquatic of Steve Zissou - which sidebar is a wickedly awesome movie and I should actually probably buy that and Old School sometime soon

Sister Sledge

The New Pronographers

Wilco - my Dad totally digs them (ah, I miss my dad sometimes, stupid Ontario)

Anyways, that's my highlights... now to deal with the fact that I'm BROKE and will have just gotten back from Quebec when this festival happens and will hopefully have a job so I can go to these!

Ah yes, * Etta James, and a few others are the only real acts that could be construed as "blues". When I moved to Ottawa last summer and started my job at Amnesty the woman who is in charge of the youth section of the organization listed off all the wicked acts that were at last years festival and I was like that is awesome but, those aren't blues acts.... The few others there all giggled and explained that that is the funny part about the bluesfest it's not so much with the blues as just the awesome and diverse group of artists... Mr. Toby said of it:

it should be called the NCC-Herearesomecoolbands-fest


Back to stupid friggin school work...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A Poem For Jo

The name of the
Game is indeed
One of them there
All you can attend
Passes
And I promise
No gapping
Of the excessive nature
And no Rufus-Wainwright-night
Style-ditching.

Gen Anonymous