Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Ah yes, Faux Grad

Ah yes, here are some pictures from my "faux grad" from this past Sunday. I didn't take that many and actually some of these are from a classmate.





Explanation of Faux Grad
No we were not at some sort of conservative convention. We were given scarves according to our faculty colours - which apparently we have, and ours (Human Sciences) is royal blue (theology's is pink hehe). To further explain what exactly "faux grad" entailed - which was not really freaking explained to me until it was actually happening. For those of you who don't know, Saint Paul University (mine) is affiliated with U of O so this is Saint Paul's little own service for us our actual convocation (where we are actually uh, I dunno done our work and get diplomas and shit) is through the U of O. Anyways, it followed the same sorta program as your standard convocation except it was shorter and talked about Jesus a whole hell of a lot (I don't think a theology kid appreciated it much when I scoffed when Jesus was brought up in relation to our program). In any case, the faculty came in (this year Bush, Cheshmak - a new prof to the program - and Goulet as well Vern made it - last few years I guess it's just been Vern keeping it real, I'd like to think it's because we're - I'm - awesome) with their robes etc. we all stand, music plays - oh yes, this was in church (sigh). (I was really going to take a picture of Bush wearing his 'funny hat' but I got to nervous, which turns out I should have anyways as Beth would later blurt out to him "Joanna was going to take a picture of you in your hat because she thought it was funny") Anywho then some dudes says some stuff, people who got big scholarships are acknowledged. Then the names of each faculty's graduatING students (who were present) were read out faculty by faculty and as they said your name you stood to be acknowledged. Then Dallaire got an honourary doctorate in Canon Law (hehe) and spoke and that was pretty much that. Then some awkward mingling which has never happened in our program really so everyone, not just me was pretty awkward.

Awwwwwk....wait for it....ward
Some people were getting pictures with each of our profs individually. Alas, I judged it to be too awkward (more than a usual amount I would place on this sort of thing) as I had yet to pass in my final papers to any of them at that point. This is something that Bush did not fail to acknowledge - lots (sidenote: he was teasing me a lot and it was not helping to make me less uncomfortable - he's scary or at least to me so teasing me was disarming to say the least). I got stuck in a circle with him and a few others for about 15 minutes. I know this word has been overused here but it was fucking awkward. I was super tired (I had woken up 15 minutes before I was set to arrive there - hence the sketchy appearance above) and also I'm afraid of Bush and struggle to find words I think are intelligent enough at the best of times and well, frankly, I'm not good at small talk with strangers especially ones who are all positioning for praise and jobs. Anyways, during this fifteen minutes people kept asking him when his sabbatical started and each time he would turn to me and say "as soon as this one gets her paper in to me" and then he'd nudge me. Frick. It took all my energy not to go into high-pitch squealing like Elliot on Scrubs that I was certainly not the only one who hadn't passed in the paper for the deadline that hasn't even come yet and that I was probably middle of the pack, at worse, in my class in terms of progress on my MRP. Actually, fuck, I may have said something like that - but, I'm pretty sure it was not that long of a rant and not that high pitch and squeal-ly. Though, I was so frigging tired who can be sure....

Also, there was FREE wine and food and I had like three things to eat and NO WINE. That's right, folks - passed up the free wine and left early. I also didn't even think of taking my copy of Shake Hands with the Devil to get signed. Others sure did. Nuts.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Fake Grads are AWSOME. Because: if for some reason you happen to fail, and have to redo an exam or a paper or pick up a new course...no one (including parents) EVER HAVE TO KNOW. Chit chat with profs is NEVER awsome. I quote Dave Briggs at my STU grad....and then AGAIN at the law grad..."wanna us to get some pictures with you and your profs Lindsay?" Nooooooooooooooooo JEEEEEEEESSSUUUSSSSS, take it down a notch Dave.

Anonymous said...

Well some of the family would know since we read the blog ;) Did you get your dress at the Superstore or whatever it is called in Upper Canada?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on fake graduation! I'm looking forward to being the embarrassing one at the real graduation with stupid picture-taking and some crying.

Bisous!

Gen