Elmo's got new shoes.
Or, I do.
They were a bit pricey but so far they feel like running on heaven. Now if only Asics made lungs.... (oh cold air...)
Here they are:
In a related story, I need to not become one of those people who runs and only talks about running, you know like people who are married or have babies...ala the SATC episode where Miranda talks about how she lost two sisters to the motherhood (you know the first season one called "the baby shower", no?) Especially because it could be so fleeting given how ridiculously out of shape I am.
oh in an unrelated story I went to an NHL hockey game tonight. I know for most of you that's not that big of deal (even Kusie had the Jets for god's sake) but for a kid from small town New Brunswick it is (though I didn't show it at first). Although I couldn't really care too much for the the two teams playing (or the NHL in general anymore - I mean how many fucking teams are there?!?) - I became an Oilers fan for the night (I like underdogs). I kinda regretted it during the first period as I've come to love Ottawa and felt I should cheer for the "home team" but, then with like 6 minutes left in the game (which I had become more actively partisan about during periods 2 and 3 as they were losing and well, hey I was wearing Orange and Blue it was too late at that point to turn back) tons of people filed out to beat the traffic. I no longer felt bad about my choice in the team I was supporting that night. Seriously?! And, to 'show them' the game completely changed. In the last 6 minutes it went from 3-1 for the Sens to 3-3. The third goal was scored in the last twenty seconds! This game did however kind of give legitimacy to every time my dad is screaming at the tv during a Leafs game (he beLeafs) and says things like "well, they're only down 6 goals with 60 seconds left a goal every 10 seconds is totally feasible..." I was genuinely excited at their goals though and that one in particular I jumped up and cheered without even thinking about (no thinking in partisanship!). Then there was a shootout which sucked because the oilers lost it to some guy I can't be bothered to look up who had just recently been traded to the Sens from the Oilers (so very greek tragedy, no?).
All in all it was fun, and given how high up our seats were it would seem there isn't really a bad seat in the stadium because I could see everything just fine. Now if only there had been a fight.... (yes, I'm a dichotomous individual. One of my favourite childhood memories still was a first round Stanley Cup series game between the Habs and the Bruins when Roy and Moog skated to center ice to fight, sigh)
I'm glad I went though I was hesitant about the decision during the first period - I was only wishing it was with Toronto or that I had a time machine and that Joanna from about 13-16 years ago (when I was super into hockey) was able to come to the game instead. A fact which, don't worry Phil (if you actually bothered to read blogs..) you'd be happy to know I managed to bring up, and spawned a conversation with Marin and Peddle about my old school favourites such as Cam Neely, Ray Bourque, Doug Gilmour, Felix Potvin, Dave Andreychuk etc. And, oh yes, my hatred for Ulf....waitforit...SAMUELSON came up! (also a bit my old hatred for Patrick Roy) hehe. But, man seriously he ruined Cam Neely's career .... see, youtube doesn't lie:
Though nothing, NOTHING made me so mad as the 1993 Game Six of the Western conference finals when Kerry Fraser did not call Gretzky's high-sticking of Doug Gilmour (solidifying my disdain for Gretzky, yeah that's right I said it) only to turn around and call a penalty on Toronto for something that happened to Wayne which resulted in a penalty shot being awarded to Wayne which he made thus, winning the Kings the game, the series and later the cup. This is quite possibly the turning point in my giving up on hockey. Goddddddd, I was pissed.
Also, WHOA Cam Neely is not as dreamy as I remember ... oh 1991
Okay, I think everyone would appreciate it if I would put scary hockey Joanna back where she belongs: the early to mid 1990s.
1 comment:
"appreciate" is an understatement.
Post a Comment