Sunday, November 26, 2006

"Look at those cavemen go."

I never quite knew what I thought about David Bowie when I was younger - or for that matter now. One of my earliest memories of learning of Bowie's existence was discovering a song of his (probably Space Oddity) and my dad explaining that when he first encountered Bowie, or Ziggy Stardust, he was like hmm...that girl is kinda...wait a minute.... In any case, overall I eventually developed an ambivalent relationship toward Bowie. Though earlier on I remember not quite liking him as he was British (though I loved the Beatles - I was a weird kid) and also thinking he was too popular and well, weird (musically not his personality). Later on, I think brought on by his collaboration with Trent Reznor - who I do respect, I began to reconsider my "I don't like David Bowie" stance and began to believe that perhaps I needed to give him more credit.

One of the songs that reinforces my need to better appreciate Bowie now [though I often forget it until that scene from the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou toward the beginning and possibly, I thought, C.R.A.Z.Y. (note that while this site is a French, as in France, company, 'la bande-annonce' has to subtitle in french what the characters are saying at points...oh Quebec french) though I might be mixing that up with Space Oddity, which was definitely featured in it...]is the song: "Life on Mars?" This song from about 33 seconds in to about 1:25 is absolutely wonderfully brilliant. Seriously.



This cover of it is genius, as are the other Bowie covers that Seu Jorge did for the Life Aquatic.






PS - if you haven't seen Life Aquatic or C.R.A.Z.Y do so. Now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I love Seu Jorge's Life on Mars cover. That's what me and KJ chose to dance to at our reception.

Joanna said...

Awwww