I'm sh-sh-shakin', sh-shakin'
A moderate earthquake hit here tonight at 8:39 pm EST (4.5 on the richter scale, I've mostly always just wanted to say that) - read here or here. I thought it was snow falling off our roof until there was breaking news on CTV newsnet to tell me otherwise. I've been scanning the news tonight to get some info on what happened today in the Council's summit as well as the premier's reactions to the media on daycare - looks like Binns and Lord didn't forget to pick up their party speaking notes. It was funny to watch the difference on the coverage of the earthquake on CBC Newsworld and CTV Newsnet. CTV broke the story with a special "breaking news" animation and song. Meanwhile on the CBC they spent about 3.2 seconds saying and also there was a mild earthquake in the Ottawa area, moving on...
I can't help but wonder if there is a connection to Harper's stance on daycare and the quake (mostly entirely joking) . . . if that were true we're in for some extremely bumpy times because something tells me that man is just getting started.
In other news, in the Olympics I have paid little to no attention to I managed to catch some of the gold medal winning curling match with Tanya at lunch. Place Bell on Elgin has a big screen TV set up in the lobby with chairs for everyone to watch while they eat their lunch and what have you. Seeing as how my office building is next door I would have been way more into the Olympics as it really makes you feel some patriotism watching the games with a bunch of other people - without beer even... Anyways, apparently these Olympics are our best showing currently we have 20 medals which puts us in 'third place' tied with Russia and behind Germany and the US. A big story that has been picked up on is that of our 20 medals the vast majority have been won by women. Possibly my favourite part of this is that tv journalists, at least, have been asking guests whether this means that women get too much support and that they should focus more on men. Thankfully, most when posed with such questions have said, no, if anything they are finally starting to get equal funding, attention etc. ... indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment