Saturday, December 16, 2006

Soaring high in the sky....

He may be small but only in size.
AstroBoy, AstroBoy,
He is brave and gentle and wise


When I was little AstroBoy was one of my favourite shows ever. I used to wake up and watch it super early - I think it was on at like 7am and I'd eat a crap load of cheerios and be perfectly content for that half hour. I was thinking about this recently though, is it weird that I both used to want to be Uran (or AstroGirl if you will, his sister) and date AstroBoy? I mean he was brave and gentle and wise (and cute)!






I also over-identified with Penny from Inspector Gadget. I very much wanted her super cool book and watch. I wore pigtails in her honour (well and cause they're awesome). And how cute was Brain? In my mind's eye he's a goldie. Also, sadly each time I watched it I totally thought that I would get to see who Dr. Claw was...





Oh to be five again, sigh.

3 comments:

Toby said...

Astro Boy is one of the action figures in "How does barb feel about the action figures?..."

Joanna said...

True story. Just because I used to be in love with him doesn't mean I have an action figure of him on display. I didn't ever have any astroboy toys, sorry action figures though. My dad was too weirded out by astroboy he thought that Japanese animation was really weird now I'm sure he is like wow that was the tip of the iceberg. Also, Brad judged the 'action figure' not me, Brad was born 38 years old I'm pretty sure... The coolest toy I remember from that era was at my kindergarten (run out of Katherine Breen's house) there was a voltron and every day all the girls would like physically wound each other fighting for the one pink piece voltron...

Toby said...

Brad needs interventions of several sorts