Chilean Wine: Wine Review from Someone Who Knows Next To Nothing About Wine
I'm going to recommend a newer label of wine to you all.
Last weekend after my convocation we went to dinner at this place Sweetgrass Bistro (so amazing, and is so my new splurge place). In any case, my roommate Erin (not to be confused with Crantease) bought us a bottle of wine to share. It was the craziest tasting wine I've ever drank (I mean in a good way not in a 4th year John Jamer bought a bottle of Great White for like $4 kinda way). There was just so much going on. In fact, I believe I explained it to others nearby by making little firework explosions with my hands all around different parts of my mouth .... ah, yes, so classy I am. In any case, neither Erin or could remember the label's name or even the blend of the wine. But, today, thanks to my sometimes photographic memory I was able to find the blend at my neighbourhood LCBO. It's a winery called Cono Sur (the Southern Cone - because it's Chilean... yeah, could be seen as lame or quaint name).
In any case I recommend it for the following reasons:
Taste
While I can't (yet) speak for the whole line, the Cabrenet Sauvignon/Merlot blend is an amazing experience. It may be a bit too unique to make your usual bottle particularly if you are a boozehound, ahem. And, hey, don't just take my word for it, a bit of google research indicates that the label and this blend in particular has won a bunch of awards. So people that actually have a knowledge of wine (unlike my usual - it's wine it's good policy) think it's great too.
It's nice to support a newer winery
It's a newer winery trying to break into the North American market. Enough said.
Chilean Wine is Better than the for some reason super popular Australian Wine
True Story, again, a bunch of wine reviewers back me up on this.
It appeals to your inner (or not so inner) champagne socialist sensibilities (okay, or mine)
The winery markets itself as one that is 'green'. It seemingly uses predominantly (??) organic cultivation methods - i.e. goose poo which is particularly interesting as the geese eat burritos (no not those kinds, apparently a type of insect) which apparently makes their poo extra cool/different making the grapes different than others - making for different wine. They offer one line of wines which is exclusively organic (indicated by a bicycle on the label). Additionally, the winery claims to be the first winery in the world to achieve carbon neutral delivery status...
It's cheap
Because it's a newer winery (started in 1993) they are selling, in Canada anyways, pretty cheaply. I got my 13% 1.5 litres of Carbernet Sauvignon/Merlot for $14.95!!!!
Albeit as it's newer winery most of their products are from 2005 or 2006. But, again, if you're not uber-snobby about your wine worth a try - because apparently those sort of things matter.
I give it 4 smashed wine glasses out of 5 - hey nothing is prefect(Those of you who know me well will get this joke)
All right, back to assembling my last minute hallowe'en costume....
No comments:
Post a Comment