Saturday, August 11, 2007

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans

For those of you not on facebook: I was at a wedding last weekend in PEI. Made me realize how much I miss the ocean. On the beach I cooked up a plan then and there to eventually move back east (most likely NS - possibly to live the dream, yes dream, of living in Wolfville) - it entails 3-5 years working/getting life experience etc. (most likely in Ottawa maybe Toronto) then 3-6 years getting PhD (in field to be determined maybe an interdisciplinary program or a DPhil so I can do what I want - hoping time off will determine that exactly what this is... PhD would ideally be in part of Canada have never been - i.e. hopefully west coast, or more hopefully Europe to have that experience and to TRAVEL) Then trying to find me a teaching job. I've always thought about teaching since I can remember but, as bad it seems thought it un-glamourous - well that's not the right term but just not enough for me. But, of course, I get that teaching is a huge impact etc. etc. And, well, truth is if I can survive the PhD I think I'd quite enjoy it, I love sharing new things when I learn them and I love the ingenuity of fresh young minds - new perspectives and creativity ... (I'm a dork, I know). If I can find a job that doesn't make me struggle through a publish or perish hell I'll hopefully find time for other things. Plans hope to include picking up one of them there house husbands along the way. So yeah, we'll see how this plan totally changes in a few years - I'm sure. But, boy, do I miss the ocean and the people.

Anywho: PICTURES (or some of them). [captions/descriptions to come later....]But, some pictures from Moncton (on route stopped for dinner with John and Cole's sister) then beach days (TWO!), lobster dinner (one of me and Linds [aka the bride] making funny faces is when the power went out at post-lobster dinner party at her parents rented house), (the first one is from the Pub Crawl they did the first night which we missed all of until showing up at midnight - HILARIOUS time to meet a wedding pub crawl full of scots, irish, and maritimers), and the wedding....The wedding was perfect. So loving, so honest, so much fun. An enormous gratitude to Lindsay for making it an event as otherwise I would have missed out on a real vacation - having opted for flying in had it been one day and flying out. I had one of the best weekends ever! And, yes, I cried lots at Lindsay's wedding but, it's rare to see such genuine, honest, and funny love (things like "Paul take my veil!" during the ceremony hehe or walking back down the aisle to "Celebrate" by Kool and the Gang, OR the fact that Lindsay Briggs - now Bowman - was CALM about all the changes in plans/weather etc. because she just wanted to marry Paul - LINDSAY CALM - yes, that's what I said).... sigh.

Ah yes, and my camera broke half-way through the wedding ceremony so after some google research it turns out fairly common problem with camera model but, apparently some have been covered by warranty some have not had such luck. Have been too busy upon return to investigate - must do so.



















1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Joanna,
Could you pass on my e-mail address to Lindsay Briggs/Bowman. I'm a law student thinking of articling at her former firm, Warren Sinclair, and I'd like to hear a candid opinion.

Thanks,
Tara

taramccabe
atsign
yahoo
period
com