Saturday, September 23, 2006

"You can see the smoke from all my burning bridges..."

Soooo.... long time no post.

Well I'm settled into the Glebe and into my 2nd year of my 2 year program.

Je suis tres hate pour un voyage a Montreal! I'm going to Montreal next weekend (making my own long weekend - well, I am taking hundreds of envelopes and letters for my CASA contract job that need to be stuffed for Monday...). Nicole is coming up from NB for the weekend and we're going to stay at Gen's. I'm very very excited as it's been since STU really that the three of us have hung out alone. I also am blaming planning the CASA conference on the fact that I made an itinerary for the Montreal trip - but, I think it's a good one ;) Hopefulllllly it will involve kissing cute Quebecois boys. ALSO we're going to see Joel Plaskett doing a taping for CBC for FREE - I'm suuuuppper JAZZED. I bought his new DVD in anticipation - though Jill informed me he got married this summer. Booooo. (Because we were so going to get together otherwise?)

Other than that, I've been keeping busy settling in and being social which means falling behind on schoolwork.

I went to a luncheon for my old work's 30th anniversary. Peggy Antrobus spoke at the lunch. She made a very inspiring speech that was quite poignant to recent developments in the western context specifically with what has been going on with Status of Women Canada (see: Liberal's recent press releases here and the NDP's here. Also see: here, CBC story....) There is apparently some form of an announcement expected on Monday... hopefully it will not be as bad as can be anticipated with this government. In any case, at this luncheon I kinda networked by accident. Also, there was a prof from my program I've yet to meet/have there and everyone kept talking to her about me and we never hooked up. Apparently at one point someone was like 'oh you teach in that program - do you know Joanna?' and she said no but that a few people had asked her now and then Alexa McDonough (who was there apparently) was like 'oh I know her from her days in student politics in NS' - weirded out. Speaking of Alexa, remember the Rick Mercer 'ad' where she is rifling through the mini-bar? See it here - scroll down to week of April 11, 2006 - Video: Goodnight.... (in bed with politicians).

What else? Oh yes, have you all been following the Jan Wong (Globe columnist)/Charest/Harper/Globe exchange in the Globe re: the Dawson College shooting where Wong essentially questions whether Quebec is to blame ....
Here's Charest's response and here is Harper's (September 20). - mon dieu.

In other news, for those of you in the know, stuff with my parents is still at a stand still though there is a slight possibility that when I 'go home' now it may be 3 hours from here toward Toronto....could be like coming full-circle I guess?

Okay, back to readings I have to stop putting off....

No comments: